News Release

Secretary Andanar: PH winning vs. proliferation of illegal drugs


MANILA – Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar on Tuesday said that the country is winning in terms of addressing the drug menace and proliferation of drug-related crimes.

In an interview, Secretary Andanar reiterated the government’s report where around 1.2 million drug surrenderers underwent rehabilitation programs and more than P15 billion worth of shabu and another P16 billion worth of dangerous drugs were seized by the authority in the past years.

The said amount does not include the successful crackdown and surveillance operations done this year. Recently, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) seized about PHP8.6 million worth of party drugs concealed in three shipments in Pasay City. An investigation is also underway to determine the source of the PHP5.3 million worth of cocaine seized in Tawi-Tawi last week.

“Malaki talaga ang naging epekto nitong kampanya natin laban sa iligal na droga, lalo na sa pagsugpo ng drug cartels. Dati, marami sila dito sa bansa pero ngayon, nabawasan ang kanilang network,” he said.

From July 1, 2016 to the present, more than ₱40 billion worth of illegal drugs, controlled precursors, and essential chemicals have been destroyed, according to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

Secretary Andanar noted that the campaign against drugs is part of the initiative to push for safer streets and uplift the well-being of Filipinos.

Duterte admin as the “Golden age of Infrastructure”

Secretary Andanar also mentioned the accomplishments of the Duterte Administration in building new bridges and roads, ushering in the golden age of infrastructure for the country.

“It’s really assuring that today, in the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, we were able to have new monumental infrastructure projects like the Cebu-Cordova Link Expressway (CCLEX). This is just one of the projects that would really reflect the accomplishments of the President,” he said.

###