News Release

Public should avoid complacency in coronavirus fight, says President Duterte

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte talks to the people after holding a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) core members at the Malago Clubhouse in Malacañang on September 7, 2020. ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

The country is on the right track in containing the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) following reports by experts that the coronavirus curve has flattened, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte said on Monday.

“The coronavirus curve flattened. Meaning to say that there are now less people with contaminated disease called COVID-19. Recent scientific studies have shown that COVID-19 curve in the Philippines has flattened,” President Duterte said in a televised address.

“No significant contamination has been noted by government. This means that the government effort that we are guided by the best interest of public health and the crucial data provided by medical science paid off.”

Experts said the two-week modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) implemented by the government in Metro Manila and nearby provinces last month greatly contributed in reducing the number of COVID-19 cases.

According to the President, one of the important factors that helped flattened the curve is public awareness, adding the government truly appreciates the actions of the majority who follow the minimum health protocols set by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

The President also recognized the efforts by local chief executives saying they “played a vital role in the implementation of anti-virus or virus measures in their localities”.

“Mayroong iba talagang to the hilt, followed protocol to a T. Well, it redounded to the benefit of the people of their localities and I salute you for doing your duty very well,” he said.

Despite the positive developments, President Duterte has expressed caution reminding the people to remain vigilant and “not let complacency overwhelm us and reduce our sacrifice to a naught”.

During the meeting with the President, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said COVID-19 cases in Quezon City, City of Manila, Caloocan City, have dropped because of the implementation of MECQ from August 3 to 18.

“Ako po’y nagpapasalamat dahil kung hindi po sa inyong modified enhanced community quarantine ay baka hindi po natin nakamit itong malaking porsyento nang pagbaba ng mga kaso sa mga naturang lugar ng NCR,” Duque told the President.

But there are areas in the country that should be closely monitored.

Due to the spike in the number of coronavirus infections, there is a recommendation calling for the implementation of MECQ in Lanao del Sur and Bacolod City, said Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr., the National Action Plan Against COVID-19 chief implementer. PND