News Release

President Duterte vows to look for another P2 billion to aid typhoon-affected areas

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte tends to the victims of Typhoon Odette as he visits the severely affected areas in the towns of Cebu and Bohol on December 19, 2021. SIMEON CELI/ PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte said Sunday that he would look for another P2 billion to augment his P2-billion initial commitment to aid the recovery of provinces devastated by Typhoon Odette.

President Duterte toured Bohol province to assess the typhoon’s impact and had met with local officials to know their immediate needs. He also led the distribution of assistance to the typhoon survivors.

“So what’s important is you listen to your officials because we’re going to download the money in the bank so they can get money immediately,” he said during the distribution of assistance in Inabanga, Bohol.

“So we gave P2 billion and you’ll divide the amount. We’ve already started giving assistance, so I’ll look for another P2 billion.”

He appealed for patience, however, saying there is no government money at this time after the administration poured its expenditures on COVID-19 response.

Still, President Duterte vowed to prioritize those who were left with nothing.

“Just don’t be selfish, just wait for your turn. We will have to help first those who have nothing right now. But for those whose houses are still intact and just need some repairs, you’ll be next to receive help. Unahin natin ang pinakakawawa.”

The National Housing Authority (NHA) will quickly build 5,000 to 30,000 houses for the typhoon survivors, he said.

Bohol is among the provinces pummeled by Typhoon Odette after making several landfalls in different localities across Mindanao and Visayas last week.

The weather disturbance affected thousands of families and individuals, and caused heavy damage to key infrastructures in affected regions.  PND