Tagum City, Davao del Norte —- President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Friday, January 12, said that the executive order he signed banning travel in the Executive department is part of his administration’s campaign against corruption.
“I just signed an Executive Order banning travel. You let me know first and I will read, I need to know what you are going for,” the Chief Executive said in his speech here during the birthday celebration of House Speaker Pantaleon “Bebot” Alvarez.
The President wants the submission of the itinerary ahead of time as well as the synopsis or a short memo on the objective of the travel.
“It’s part of the campaign against corruption. Not only done with malice but those who just want to spend money of government for nothing,” he said.
“They go out every convocation, convention, powwow, seminar, labas ng labas. And for those who have traveled more than 12, you have to go. Hindi na ako bilib diyan sa most of the time nag-ibang bansa,” he added.
Earlier this month, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea issued a memorandum to department secretaries and heads of agencies regarding the directives applying to foreign travels of all government officials and personnel in the Executive department.
In gracing the birthday celebration of House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez here, the President meanwhile recalled Alvarez as one of the individuals who had encouraged him to run for president.
In his message to the lawmaker, the Chief Executive said Alvarez’s “thoughtful leadership, great vision, and sincerity as a public servant have had a positive impact on the changes we are doing for our nation.”
“We value your hard work and commitment to your profession and I’m truly grateful to have you as a friend and ally whom I can count on in achieving our shared vision of uplifting the lives of Filipinos,” Duterte said. PND