Local officials should not mess up with the law in the grant of emergency subsidy to the needy, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte said Tuesday, issuing a new warning against unscrupulous officials.
“Nakita ho naman ninyo mga kababayan ko sa panahong ito lalo na sa umpisa pa lang nagsabi na ako nang prangkahan na huwag na huwag na huwag ninyong haluan ng kalokohang mga programa na ito sa COVID kasi kailangan ito at marami talaga ang nangangailangan ng tulong,” the President said during his address to the nation on the pandemic.
“At sinabi ko sa inyo hindi kayo papatawarin ‘pag nagkamali kayo dito. So the law is the law is the law. A rule is a rule is a rule and you — when you begin to mess up with the law, talagang ginagarantiya ko sa inyo na makukulong talaga kayo.”
During a meeting with the President, Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said the department has filed 12 corruption cases against local officials in connection with the grant of social amelioration program (SAP).
There are also four cases for filing and 58 cases under investigation. Two officials were arrested and currently in detention, Año said.
To ensure transparency, Año said he directed local government units (LGUs) to post the names of those who received the cash aid as well as those who got government support twice.
“At hinihimok natin na hangga’t maaga ay isauli nila itong mga natanggap nilang dobleng benepisyo para naman ang ibang mga kababayan natin na hindi pa nakatanggap na siya nating bibigyan ng priority para sa second tranche,” he said.
The LGUs were also required to submit the list of the additional five million low-income households who are eligible to receive the second tranche of the emergency support.
To stop the abuses in the release of cash aid, the President has previously offered a reward to those who can provide information regarding officials pocketing money intended for poor families. PND