President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has assured the Filipino public Monday that he has no illness that could prevent him from doing his duties as president.
President Duterte was responding to speculations regarding his health especially due to his long absence from the public view.
“Kung sabihin mo may sakit ako, may sakit ako. Pero kung sabihin mo may sakit ako ngayon that would prevent me from exercising the powers of the presidency, wala ho,” he said during his Talk to the People address.
“Kaya ako nagmo — kaya ako nakaka-swing ng golf, tapos nagmomotor eh kasi kaya ko pa.”
Meanwhile, President Duterte said he is willing to waive his slot in the government vaccination program and would prefer to give the jab to a young and productive individual.
“Kami, okay na ako. Maski kami ‘yong ano. Ako, magwi-waive ako. Magwi-waive ako. Basta 70 above… Alam mo 70 above, ano mang ma — ano mang makuha mo magsige ka dream?” he said.
“Dream of what? Living until kingdom come? Ako magwi-waive ako. Kung sino ‘yong may gusto sa slot ko, ibigay ko. Wala akong ano masyado sa ano…”
The government has so far administered COVID-19 shots to the country’s healthcare workers, senior citizens and persons with comorbidities.
The Department of Health (DOH) has reported 11,378 new cases on Monday, April 12, bringing the country’s total COVID-19 active infections to 157,451.
With 267 patients recovering from the virus, the country’s a total recovery tally is now at 703,625. The DOH also reported 204 individuals who succumbed from the virus, breaching the 15,000 death toll.
The Philippines has a total of 876,225 confirmed COVID-19 cases. PND