MALALAG, Davao del Sur — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Friday, January 3, turned over financial assistance and family food packs to two Davao del Sur municipalities affected by a magnitude 6.9 earthquake last December 15.
The President, through Davao City Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte, handed over a P5 million check to the Malalag municipal government.
The younger Duterte also led the ceremonial distribution of family food packs to residents affected by the earthquake. He was assisted by Sen. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go.
In a speech delivered by Vice Mayor Duterte in Malalag town, President Durterte expressed his solidarity with the communities for the loss of lives and properties as a result of the disasters that struck the country.
“I am deeply saddened by the recent natural calamities that have stricken our nation, particularly the series of strong earthquakes that hit our home of Mindanao,” President Duterte said, assuring the public that the government will continue to monitor the situation in the region in the aftermath of the disaster.
The President said the national government is closely working with local government units to help bring back normalcy in the communities affected by the earthquake. He stressed that it is the government’s moral responsibility to ensure that infrastructures and installations remain safe, livable, and compliant with the highest standards of structural integrity.
“Beyond relief operations, I urge our local government units, including private stakeholders and our local communities, to maintain your resilience in times of disasters and emergency situations,” he added.
With the collective effort to rehabilitate affected communities, and with strong determination to rise from the rubble, the President expressed optimism that the government could help all affected families to get back on their feet so they may stand hopeful for the new year.
After Malalag, Davao City Vice Mayor Duterte and Senator Go flew to Padada, Davao del Sur to provide similar support. On behalf of President Duterte, Vice Mayor Duterte turned over a P2 million check to Padada Mayor Pedro F. Caminero.
The money is intended to help Padada rebuild structures damaged by a series of earthquakes that hit the region last month.
Aside from the monetary assistance, Vice Mayor Duterte, assisted by Senator Go, led the distribution of family food packs to affected families.
The President has made the quick rehabilitation of Mindanao’s quake-hit areas a top priority. So far, the Duterte government has provided more than P2 million worth of assistance to the affected communities in Padada.
The President also instructed relevant agencies to work with local government units to hasten the repair and rehabilitation efforts in order to bring renewed hope to the people of Mindanao at the start of the new year.
Some 81,000 families from over 200 barangays in Southern Mindanao and Soccsksargen
have been affected by the earthquake. Around 7,800 of these families have taken shelter in more than 50 evacuation centers in the two regions in Mindanao.
Early this week, President Duterte also extended financial and food aid to communities devastated by earthquake in Cotabato and Digos City. PND