News Release

Pres. Duterte to allow foreign competition for faster internet services

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte shows a matrix in his interview during Erwin Tulfo's program 'Sa Totoo Lang' which was aired on the People's Television on September 29, 2017. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

During the same interview, President Duterte conveyed his plan to allow foreign telecommunications companies to do business in the country to improve internet services for Filipinos.

“The only way to improve your service is bigyan kita ng kompitensiya,” the President said, stressing that he would allow four to six foreign internet service providers to enter the country.
He said a Chinese firm and a Singaporean-based company had already expressed desire to set up stations here.
The Chief Executive earlier issued a warning to local telecommunications firms to improve the services that they provide to the public, otherwise they would have to compete with new players.
The President in conclusion said he remains grateful for the overwhelming support he has been receiving from the Filipino public, as shown in recent surveys.
“To the Filipino people, salamat ho (sa) suporta ninyo. Because the surveys show, all, Pulse Asia, everything. So walang manipulation. Hindi fake news ‘yan,” he stressed.
“So ako naman, I am grateful, not elated. Nagmamagandang loob ho ako sa inyo na naintindihan ninyo ang trabaho ko. ‘Yun lang,” he added.
The President then reiterated his commitment to create genuine change in people’s lives, particularly on ending the illegal drug problem and improving the country’s economy so Filipinos no longer have to look for better jobs abroad. ###PND