President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has ordered the Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III to crackdown on companies engaged in labor-only contracting, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced Friday.
“The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary is hereby directed to submit to the Office of the President within 30 days from issuance hereof a comprehensive report on the implementation of DOLE Department Order Nos. 174 and 182 (s. 2017), including violations thereof, and a list of companies engaged and/or suspected to be engaged in labor-only contracting,” Secretary Roque said in a Palace press briefing.
The President also directed the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC) to coordinate with the Labor Secretary and submit a list of cases involving respondents found to be engaged in labor-only contracting, and/or have committed violations of DOLE Department Order Nos. 174 and 182.
The Palace Spokesperson said the Chief Executive ordered the inventory of companies engaged in labor-only contracting to fulfill the latter’s promise to end “555.”
“Ang promise ng Pangulo habang ganyan ang depinisyon ng contractualization na hindi lahat ay bawal kundi ‘yong nga ‘cabo’ lamang, sisiguraduhin ni Presidente, wala talagang 555 at wala talagang cabo [in] 30 days,” Roque said adding that erring companies must not test the resolve of the President.
“Itong 30 days na ito, it’s not just for the list. It’s to tell them (companies), comply [or] otherwise, ipapasara kayo ni Presidente. At talagang magkakaroon ng tokhang sa mga kampanya, iisa-isahin sila. Tokhang laban sa cabo ‘to,” he added.
Roque: European Parliament resolution based on baseless claims
In the same press briefing, Secretary Roque scored the members of the European Parliament for “once again [stepping] into the affairs of the Philippines by rehashing issues and baseless claims that have been adequately explained by the Philippine government in several official statements.”
“We reiterate that the Philippine government under the administration of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte does not engage in so-called extra-judicial killings.”
“Ang sabi po nila 12,000 na raw po ang patay. Nasaan po ‘yong mga bangkay? At nasaan po ang ‘yong mga demanda ng mga 12,000 victims?” Kakaunti lang po ang alam naming mga demanda tungkol sa mga patayan na ito and we of course challenge them, asan po ang mga datos, saan ang ebidensiya na 12,000 ang pinatay na,” he added.
Roque also said the arrest and detention of Senator Leila de Lima on illegal drug charges had already been declared legal by the Supreme Court, while United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Victoria Tauli-Corpuz was included in the list of terrorists because of intelligence information.
“We thus call on the members of the European Parliament to exercise prudence in issuing resolutions. We understand a number of whom have close ties with the local political opposition who tried to distort the realities that we have a working democracy where people now enjoy peace and order,” Roque said, adding that the Philippines and EU have existing mechanisms for constructive discussion.
Meanwhile, Secretary Roque belied the claim of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines that Sister Patricia Fox has never spoken in the rallies she attended as he presented a photo of the Australian nun speaking during a strike in Davao City on April 9.
“Pinabubulaanan ko lang ang sinasabi ng CBCP na ni minsan ay hindi nagsalita itong si Sister Fox [sa mga rally.] Eh kailan lang pala nagsasalita [siya]. This is April 9,” Roque stressed referring to the photo. ### PCO-Content