The pilot testing of the implementation of alert level system in Metro Manila was a success as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to decrease, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Chairman Benjamin “Benhur” Abalos Jr, said on Wednesday.
Chairman Abalos told President Rodrigo Roa Duterte in his report that the pilot testing of alert level system in the National Capital Region has only been running for seven days but the outcomes are good based on the Department of Health’s report.
“So far, ang masasabi ko po personally talagang maganda po ang naging resulta. In fact, ang ating mga kaso ay tuloy po sa pagbaba dito, halos nagpa-plateau na,” Chairman Abalos said during the President’s televised Talk to the People on COVID-19.
“At kaninang umaga lang po ‘no, ito’y patunay — ang nagbigay po nito ay ang in fact, ang DOH. Sinasabi ng DOH from 19.83 percent ‘yung growth rate, naging 12.88 na lang po,” he said.
OCTA Research Group has supported DOH’s data on declining growth rate, according to Abalos.
Citing the research group, Abalos said the 1.90 reproduction rate dropped to 1.13 last September 20.
“Iyon pong 1.13 na reproduction rate naging 1.03 — .03. Kung mag-one po ito, Mr. President, magpa-plateau na po tayo. So napakaganda po nito. At ang sabi din ng OCTA ay ang one week growth rate ay -18 percent,” he pointed out.
Despite the strict implementation of lockdowns, businesses expressed elation with the gradual reopening of the economy aimed at making up for the business losses due to the pandemic, the MMDA chair said.
“At nandiyan po si Secretary Mon Lopez sa hanay naman ng negosyo masaya ang mga tao maski kaunting puwang ang binigay eh talagang buhay na buhay po ang — makikita mo ang sigla ng mga tao,” he said.
The COVID-19 alert level system with granular lockdowns will remain in place in the NCR until September 30. PND