MARAWI CITY — The government is on track and ahead of schedule in turning over temporary shelters to displaced families in Marawi, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Jr. declared on Tuesday, January 30.
“I think we’re even ahead. We’ve already finished with 800 shelters and, if I’m not mistaken, there will be more homes that will be finished,” Roque said in a press briefing held here at Biyaya ng Pagbabago Transitional Site in Brgy. Sagonsongan.
A total of 6,700 temporary shelters will be built by the National Housing Authority (NHA). Out of the 6,700 total, 800 units have been turned over by the government.
“As you can see, 6,700, we have clearly reached at least 10 percent of what we are aiming to build the way of temporary shelters,” Roque underscored, adding that the government would be inaugurating the second phase of turnovers today.
Citing the latest Task Force Bangon Marawi report, Roque said around 200 families received the keys to their housing units in Areas 3 and 4 yesterday, on top of the 150 families who already moved in last January 20 to Areas 2 and 4 of the transitional site.
On the other hand, the NHA will also build 2,800 permanent houses.
“(T)hese permanent houses will be for those who have Torrens title to their land. In addition to that, for those with their own titles, the government will be giving them financial assistance to build their homes,” Roque assured.
In another related development, Roque reported that around 1,000 more families were given the permission to go back to their barangays yesterday, in addition to the more than 10,000 individuals who had been allowed to return to nine more barangays on January 19 and 22. This had brought the total number returned barangays to 39.
Furthermore, Roque announced that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) would soon resume its suspended infrastructure projects in Marawi, which include construction and repair of roads, water systems, line canals, and school buildings.
‘Subic-Clark railway given green light’
In the same press briefing, the Palace spokesperson announced that the Subic-Clark Railway Project would be constructed soon as the Investment Coordination Committee-Cabinet Committee of the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) gave its go-signal for the project implementation.
The project, set to complete by 2021, will serve as a connection between Subic Bay and Clark freeports and other major economic centers in Central Luzon.
Roque said it “will enable the region to become a new development center, eventually helping ease overpopulation in Metro Manila”.
Meanwhile, Roque also announced that the passenger terminal building of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport was nearing its completion.
The terminal building is expected to accommodate 13-million passengers annually and operate both domestic and international.
“(It) is now 89 percent complete and expected to open in June this year,” Roque said. ### PCO-Content