April 16, 2016 – News Releases
|16 Apr 2016|
|President Aquino launches Bustos Dam Rehabilitation Project|
|President Benigno S. Aquino III on Friday launched the Angat Afterbay Regulator Dam Rehabilitation Project that aims to repair the Bustos Dam in Bulacan to improve the irrigation system and prevent flashfloods in the province.
The P1-billion project begins next month and is expected to be completed by August next year.
Bustos Dam, which irrigates farmlands in Bulacan and Pampanga and is a regulator dam of the larger Angat Dam, was built in 1926. In 1967, the dam was fitted with steel gates, which rusted away through the years and were replaced with rubber gates in 1997. The rubber gates have since become brittle and needed immediate replacement.
“Pinag-aralan natin ang mga dapat gawin para sa rehabilitasyon at pagpapaunlad nito. Papalitan ang anim na rubber gates, at magkakabit ng mga sprinkler para sa mga rubber gates, para humaba ang lifespan ng mga ito,” the President said in his speech.“Pag natapos ito, inaasahang mapapatubigan ang buong 26,791 hectares na kasalukuyang service area ng Angat-Maasim River Irrigation System, mula 23,068 hectares lamang na napapatubigan nitong nakaraang cropping season. Tinatayang 23,700 magsasaka ng Bulacan at Pampanga ang makikinabang dito.”
He further noted that to address the flooding in Bulacan, P3.41 billion had been allocated for flood control projects in the province from 2011 to 2016. These projects include the Valenzuela-Obando-Meycauayan Flood Control Project.
“Ang kwento sa atin, noong araw, maski high tide lang o kahit konti lang ang pag-ulan, binabaha na agad ang mga barangay. Sa ilalim po ng inyong flood control project, nagpapagawa na tayo ng flood control wall para maiwasan ang perwisyo. At ang balita sa atin ay sa kasalukuyan napapakinabangan na po itong flood wall na ito,” he said.
The Chief Executive said that efforts to deal with the flood problem include the installation of two Automated Rain Gauges and 10 Water Level Monitoring Stations; and covering Malolos, Meycauayan and San Jose del Monte under the FloodNET, which provides rainfall forecasts and warnings.
President Aquino earlier led the groundbreaking of the Bulacan Bulk Water Supply Project in San Jose del Monte, the first Public-Private Partnership project in the water sector to be awarded by the administration.
“Nito ngang Enero, napirmahan na natin ang kontrata para sa Bulacan Bulk Water Supply Project, at may preconstruction activities na sinisimulan na po. July pa dapat magsisimula po ito, pero sa kasalukuyan, ginagawa na. Layon nga po ng mga proyektong ito, unang-una, mapalitan ‘yung pinagkukuhanan ng tubig na hindi na deep well,” he said.
“Ito na po ay papunta tayo sa tinatawag na ‘surface water’. Resulta po nito: mas tiyak ‘yung tubig, mas malakas ‘yung pressure at mapapababa pa ‘yung gastusin ng tubig. Sa kasalukuyan raw po, ang average na binabayad ng inyong mga OSEC sa mga water district ay mga P20. Ito po ‘yung nanalong bidder ay P8.50 per cubic meter ang isisingil,” he said, noting that once completed, the project would benefit 3 million Bulakeños.
All these projects, he said, are proof of his government’s intention to bring true service to the people.
“Kayo na po ang testigo: Magkakarugtong ang lahat ng proyekto natin; at nakatutok sa iisang layunin: ang iangat pa ang antas ng pamumuhay ng ating mga Boss. Ngayon, narito na tayo sa mas mataas na lunsaran: Pwede na muling mangarap, at mas mataas na ang kapasidad nating gawin itong realidad. Sa patuloy nating ambagan at malasakit, tiwala akong abot-kamay rin natin ang katuparan ng matatayog pa nating mithiin,” President Aquino said. PND (sm)
|President Aquino returns to Bulacan, asks people to support continuity of govt projects|
|(MEYCAUAYAN, Bulacan) President Aquino returned to Bulacan on Friday and met the local leaders and community there insisting the need for the continuity of the programs that he initiated in the province.
He reported about the PPP projects in Bulacan, saying his administration poured a huge amount of money for the province in the past several years.
The government and the private sector have so far spent P116.94 billion for the province’s PPP projects, he said in a speech at the Meycauayan College on Friday.
One of these projects include MRT 7, in which the groundbreaking will be held soon. The project will shorten travel time from Quezon City to San Jose del Monte, Bulacan, bringing great relief for commuters.
The President also reported that C-6, which was originally planned to start from Taguig to Quezon City will be extended up to Meycauayan, Bulacan to ease traffic congestion.
As to the budget coming from the national government, from 2005 to 2010, the previous administration spent P5 billion for infrastructure.
Under the present administration, from 2011 to 2016, the government’s budget for infrastructure reached P19.04 billion, according to the President.
There is also continuous dredging of the Labangan Channel in Hagonoy as well as the Marilao-Meycauayan-Obando River, he said.
Next year, the bridge in the Plaridel Bypass Road, will be finished once JICA made a confirmation on the project. This is part of the 107,000 lineal meters of bridges and 18,000 kilometers of roads constructed under the present government.
For irrigation system, the government allocated P1.38 billion while a separate P115.86 million went to the province’s post-harvest machineries and equipment.
For health facilities and enhancement program, the government spent P181.43 million. The President also said that 2.47 million Bulakenos are enjoying PhilHealth benefits and they are part of the 93 million Filipinos covered by PhilHealth.
In the education sector, he said his administration has so far built 6,758 classrooms in Bulacan.
For job generation, he said TESDA’s TWSP program produced 37,000 scholars who recently graduated. Current job placement is at 72 percent under the TWSP program, much higher than the 28.5 percent during the previous administration.
The Aquino government also made major strides in social welfare and security. In 2010, there were more than 5,000 households under the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps).
Now, the President said there are 68,348 households enjoying benefits from 4Ps. They are part of the 4.6 million households benefitting from the program.
The President asked Bulakenos to choose the right leaders this coming May election in order for the present programs to continue.
Choosing administration candidates will ensure that those programs could benefit more Bulakenos, he said. PND (as)
|Palace seeks to resolve allowances of Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines|
|The government seeks to resolve the dispute in the allowances for the employees of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) after the employees posted mayday signs in different airports around the country Friday, Communications Secretary Herminio B. Coloma Jr. said.
“Tinutukoy ng pamahalaan ang mga lehitimong usapin hinggil sa pasahod ng mga empleyado ng pamahalaan. At ayon sa impormasyon na ibinigay sa akin ni Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Angel Honrado, ang mga usaping ito ay tinatalakay na sa pagitan ng CAAP, Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) at Governance on Commission on GOCCs (GCG),” he said in a press briefing at the Palace.
He pointed out General Manager Honrado already informed President Benigno S. Aquino III on the matter, which is part of his regular reporting on the condition of the airport.
“Ayon din kay General Manager Honrado ay naihatid na niya ang impormasyon tungkol dito sa concern na ito kay Pangulong Aquino on his own initiative, as part of his regular reporting on developments in the airport which is being supervised by his office,” Coloma said.
The Palace official also assured the incident had not affected the operations of NAIA, adding the mayday signs were removed Friday afternoon.
“Wala na ngayon ang paskil at na-address na ang sitwasyon at… ni isang minuto ay hindi naapektuhan ang maayos na operasyon ng ating Manila International Airport sa Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3 at Terminal 4,” he said.
According to news reports, the Commission on Audit disallowed the salary increases and allowances for CAAP. The disallowance compels the employees to return around P 800,000 to million each.
The nine airports are: NAIA in Manila, Plaridel Airport in Bulacan, Mactan-Cebu Airport in Lapu-lapu City, Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban City, Legazpi International Airport in Legazpi City, Caticlan Airport in Albay, Subic Bay International Airport in Olongapo, Bacolod–Silay International Airport in Silay City, and Sibulan Airport in Dumaguete. PND (jd)
|Government not remiss on assistance to SAF families, says Palace official|
|The government is not remiss in extending assistance to the families of the 44 Special Action Forces (SAF) soldiers who were killed in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last year, a Palace official said on Saturday.
Reports said that families of soldiers from Baguio told Senator Bongbong Marcos that they have yet to receive any help from the government until now.
“Alam ninyo po, that would be between Senator Marcos at kung sino man ang nakausap niya. We stand by the assistance and the reports of assistance that have been extended,” said Undersecretary Manuel Quezon III of the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office during a radio interview over Radyo ng Bayan.
“We believe that the majority, if not all the families, would know what the government has done for them and it has been done sincerely and with full good faith, and with the highest degree of concern for their needs. Nakakalungkot na naghahanap ng paraan si Senator Marcos na ipulitika ang trahedyang ito,” Quezon added.
The Palace official also denied reports that beneficiaries of the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) would be slapped with a P500-cut on their monthly stipend if they fail to join the “unity walk” in support of Liberal Party (LP) bets Mar Roxas II and Camarines Sur Representative Leni Robredo last Friday at the Luneta Park.
“Alam ninyo po, nakakalungkot ang ganoong black propaganda. Lalong lalo na dahil talagang maingat ang pamahalaan na ang kapakanan ng mga benepisyaryo ang talagang hinahabol dito at hindi ‘yung pulitika,” Quezon said.
“Alam naman natin na nagsimula sa kampo lalo na ng mga militante ang paninira dito dahil siyempre alam nila na mababawasan ang suporta — hindi lamang ng mga militante, kung ‘di ng mga kaalyado sa New People’s Army — ang mga repormang ito,” he added.
“Kaya hahanap sila ng kahit anong paraan, upang siraan ang proyektong ito at magkalat ng duda tungkol dito ngunit may kumpiyansa kami na mismo ang mga pamilya, ang mga benepisyaryo ay hindi magpapagamit sa politika,” Quezon further said.
The Palace official also urged those who were reportedly threatened to inform Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman or write to President Aquino.
“Isumbong kay Dinky dahil si Dinky ang numero unong hindi papayag na mangyari ito. Kung gusto pa nila ng additional assurance, magsulat sila sa Pangulo dahil siya mismo ang hindi papayag na gawin ang mga ganoon sa mga benepisyaryo na takutin sila o lokohin o abusuhin ang kanilang tiwala sa ano mang paraan,” said Quezon.
“Wag natin kalimutan na people empowerment ang layunin ng 4Ps program. Kaya naman ng mga benepisyaryo natin na panindigan ang sarili nilang pag-iisip at ipaglaban ang programang naghahatid ng napakaraming mga benepisyo sa kanila,” the Palace official said.
Around 4.6 million households are beneficiaries of the Aquino administration’s anti-poverty program. PND (jm)